Adding one-off public holidays to MYOB Advanced PayrollMYOB Advanced Tips and Tricks #15
MYOB Advanced Payroll is a powerful and flexible payroll solution. It can process multiple different pay groups across multiple pay frequencies. MYOB Advanced Payroll will also apply the annual public holidays based on information from state and federal government departments. However, MYOB Advanced Payroll can also be configured to include one-off or other public holidays that your organisation might need.
Configuring the Queen Elizabeth II Memorial Public Holiday in Payroll
To commemorate and mark the passing of Queen Elizabeth II, the Australian and New Zealand Governments announced one-off public holidays in September 2022. In Australia, this public holiday falls on Thursday, September 22nd, and in New Zealand, it falls on Monday, September 26th.
You can add these new public holidays as exceptions in your work calendar. This will record the appropriate leave payments and liabilities. You will need to account for any other payroll activities that this might affect, such as new starters, terminations, and existing leave requests.
Your step-by-step guide to adding public holidays in MYOB Advanced Payroll
Repeat these instructions for each affected work calendar.
- Go to Organisation > Work Calendar.
- Click the Calendar ID, and go to the Exceptions tab.
- Select the year 2022.
- Click the + (plus) icon to add a row, and enter the appropriate details:
- Date: 22/09/2022 (Australia) or 26/09/2022 (NZ)
- Description: Queen’s Memorial
- Workday: Select this option if employees are expected to work on the public holiday
- Click Save once you’ve finished updating all the relevant work calendars.
Checking other affected payroll activities
If pre-existing payroll activities are already lodged in MYOB Advanced Payroll, you will need to take specific action to manage any changes.
New starters and terminations
You will need to check and update staff who were either commencing or finishing work on the public holiday.
Managing pre-existing leave requests
Employees who have already planned and booked leave are entitled to the new holiday depending on the type of leave and whether it was paid or unpaid:
- In Australia and New Zealand, annual and sick leave must only be replaced if it’s “paid”, and the day would have been a regular/normal workday for the employee.
- The rules for Australian long service leave are determined by state or territory legislation.
- Unpaid leave cannot be replaced by a paid public holiday.
You should manage changes to leave requests depending on how they were generated.
- Leave requests from Employee Self-Service in MYOB Advanced Payroll – Get the manager or a payroll user to update these leave requests.
- Leave requests from MYOB Advanced Workforce Management – You can also add a public holiday in MYOB Advanced Workforce Management. Follow these steps to create the new public holiday:
- Click the + (plus) icon in the Holidays settings
- Enter the Name of the new holiday
- Enter the Date of the new holiday
- Select the Country, State and Locations to which this holiday applies.
- If you want a public holiday to apply to certain locations only, ensure you do not select the state the location/s are in (as this will result in the holiday being applied to all locations in that state). You can select multiple states and locations.
- Click Save
- Leave requests from a third-party system – Either modify the leave request in the Advanced Payroll timesheet or re-enter the leave request in the third-party system following the vendor’s instructions.
Interested in other ways to optimise MYOB Advanced?
Check out our handy MYOB Advanced Tips and Tricks blogs here:
- Generating Statements on Demand
- How to use the New User Interface
- Row Level Security
- Generic Inquiries
- Fixed Assets
- Business Events
- Restricted Use of Control Accounts
- Corporate Cards
- Matrix Items
- Company Groups
- Important features of reporting dashboards
- The Global Search Function in MYOB Advanced
- Streamline Your Intercompany Sales
- Simplify Your Cross-Company Sales